Medical/biological Study (experimental study)
Biological and morphological effects on the reproductive organ of rats after exposure to electromagnetic field. med./biol.
By: Ozguner M, Koyu A, Cesur G, Ural M, Ozguner F, Gokcimen A, Delibas N
Published in: Saudi Med J 2005; 26 (3): 405 - 410 (full-text
| Journal website
Aim of study (according to author)
To study the biological and morphological effects of 900 MHz radiofrequency electromagnetic fields on rat testis.
Exposure FIELD View further expo parameters
General category: mobile phone
animal (species/strain): rat/Sprague-Dawley
whole body exposure
investigated material: tissue
slices (in vitro
), isolated organ
investigated organ system: reproductive system
time of investigation: after exposure
Main outcome of study (according to author)
The weight of testis, testicular biopsy score count (Johnson score) and the percentage of interstitial tissue to the entire testicular tissue were not significantly different in the exposed group compared to the control group. However, the diameter of the seminiferous tubules and the mean height of the germinal epithelium were significantly decreased in exposed animals. There was a significant decrease in serum total testosterone level in exposed rats, but there was an insignificant decrease in plasma luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone levels in the exposed group compared to the control group.
The authors concluded that the biological and morphological effects resulting from 900 MHz radiofrequency electromagnetic field exposure lends no support to suggestions of adverse effect on spermatogenesis and on germinal epithelium. Testicular morphologic alterations may possibly be due to hormonal alterations.
(Study character: medical/biological study, experimental study, full/main study)
Study funded by
- Sepehrimanesh M et al. (2014): Impact of 900 MHz electromagnetic field exposure on main male reproductive...
- Jin YB et al. (2013): Effects of simultaneous combined exposure to CDMA and WCDMA electromagnetic...
- Atasoy HI et al. (2013): Immunohistopathologic demonstration of deleterious effects on growing rat...
- Kumar S et al. (2012): Impact of microwave at X-band in the aetiology of male infertility.
- Al-Damegh MA (2012): Rat testicular impairment induced by electromagnetic radiation from a...
- Celik S et al. (2012): An evaluation of the effects of long-term cell phone use on the testes via...
- Ozlem Nisbet H et al. (2012): Effects of exposure to electromagnetic field (1.8/0.9 GHz) on testicular...
- Lee HJ et al. (2012): The effects of simultaneous combined exposure to CDMA and WCDMA electromagnetic...
- Saygin M et al. (2011): Testicular apoptosis and histopathological changes induced by a 2.45 GHz...
- Meo SA et al. (2011): Hypospermatogenesis and spermatozoa maturation arrest in rats induced by mobile...
- Sarookhani MR et al. (2011): The influence of 950 MHz magnetic field (mobile phone radiation) on sex organ...
- Kumar S et al. (2011): Influence of microwave exposure on fertility of male rats.
- Kesari KK et al. (2011): Effects of radiofrequency electromagnetic wave exposure from cellular phones on...
- Imai N et al. (2011): Effects on rat testis of 1.95-GHz W-CDMA for IMT-2000 cellular phones.
- Falzone N et al. (2011): The effect of pulsed 900-MHz GSM mobile phone radiation on the acrosome...
- Otitoloju AA et al. (2010): Preliminary study on the induction of sperm head abnormalities in mice, Mus...
- Lee HJ et al. (2010): The lack of histological changes of CDMA cellular phone-based radio frequency...
- Salama N et al. (2010): Effects of exposure to a mobile phone on testicular function and structure in...
- Kesari KK et al. (2010): Mobile phone usage and male infertility in Wistar rats.
- Mailankot M et al. (2009): Radio frequency electromagnetic radiation (RF-EMR) from GSM (0.9/1.8GHz) mobile...
- Gathiram P et al. (2009): Effects of a unique electromagnetic field system on the fertility of rats.
- Sommer AM et al. (2009): Effects of radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (UMTS) on reproduction and...
- Salama N et al. (2009): The Mobile Phone Decreases Fructose But Not Citrate in Rabbit Semen: A...
- Falzone N et al. (2008): In vitro effect of pulsed 900 MHz GSM radiation on mitochondrial membrane...
- Agarwal A et al. (2008): Effect of cell phone usage on semen analysis in men attending infertility...
- Dasdag S et al. (2008): Mobile phone exposure does not induce apoptosis on spermatogenesis in rats.
- Farkhad SA et al. (2007): Effects of extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields on testes in guinea...
- Yan JG et al. (2007): Effects of cellular phone emissions on sperm motility in rats.
- Wdowiak A et al. (2007): Evaluation of the effect of using mobile phones on male fertility.
- Fejes I et al. (2007): Hypothesis: safety of using mobile phones on male fertility.
- Ribeiro EP et al. (2007): Effects of subchronic exposure to radio frequency from a conventional cellular...
- Subbotina TI et al. (2006): Effect of low-intensity extremely high frequency radiation on reproductive...
- Dasdag S et al. (2003): Whole body exposure of rats to microwaves emitted from a cell phone does not...
- Mann K et al. (1998): Effects of pulsed high-frequency electromagnetic fields on the neuroendocrine...
, control group
, electromagnetic field
, follicle stimulating hormone
, full/main study
, in vitro
, luteinizing hormone
, mobile phone
, power flux density
, reproductive system
, seminiferous tubules
, whole body exposureExposure: mobile phone
Do you want to give a feedback on our extract of the article?