Epidemiological Study (preliminary study)
The Microwave Syndrome: A Preliminary Study in Spain. epidemiol.
By: Navarro EA, Segura J, Portoles M, Gomez-Perretta C
Published in: Electromagn Biol Med 2003; 22 (2-3): 161 - 169 (Journal website
Aim of study (according to author)
A health survey was carried out in Murcia, Spain to evaluate the microwave syndrome in the vicinity of a cellular phone base station.
Endpoint/type of risk estimation
- microwave sickness: fatigue, irritability, headache, nausea, appetite loss, insomnia, depression, discomfort, difficulty in concentration, memory loss, skin alterations, visual + auditory dysfunction, dizziness, gait difficulty, cardiovascular alterations
Estimate of prevalence
- mobile communication system, cell phone base station, GSM, residential exposure
- type of exposure: residential
- assessment by questionnaire (distance to base station, exposure time in days/week, hours/day, and time from beginning of exposure, proximity to power lines, use of personal computer and cellular phone)
- assessment by measurement (electric field measurement in bedroom of each respondent)
groups of exposure:
|group 1: || average power density (distance < 150 m): 0.11 µW/cm² |
|group 2: || average power density (distance > 250 m): 0.01 µW/cm² |
Study group: men and women, aged over 15 years
Group characteristics: inhabitants of La Nora
Observation period: January 2001
Study location: Spain (La Nora)
Exclusion criteria: deep psychological or neurological disease
Further parameters acquired by questionnaire (address, sex, age, symptoms of microwave syndrome)
|Study size || |
|number total ||1,900|
|number participating ||101|
Statistical analysis using regression method
Results/conclusion (according to author)
The results showed significant correlation between reported severity of the symptoms and the measured power density.
(Study character: epidemiological study, preliminary study)
- Gomez-Perretta C et al. (2013): Subjective symptoms related to GSM radiation from mobile phone base stations: a...
- Hagström M et al. (2013): Electromagnetic hypersensitive Finns: Symptoms, perceived sources and...
- Kato Y et al. (2012): Reported functional impairments of electrohypersensitive Japanese: A...
- Bortkiewicz A et al. (2012): Subjective complaints of people living near mobile phone base stations in...
- Eger H et al. (2010): Specific symptoms and radiation from mobile basis stations in Selbitz, Bavaria,...
- Mohler E et al. (2010): Effects of everyday radiofrequency electromagnetic-field exposure on sleep...
- Breckenkamp J et al. (2010): Ergebnisse einer Querschnittsstudie zum Zusammenhang von elektromagnetischen...
- Berg-Beckhoff G et al. (2009): Mobile phone base stations and adverse health effects: phase 2 of a...
- Schüz J et al. (2006): The "Mainzer EMF-Wachhund": results from a watchdog project on self-reported...
- Santini R et al. (2003): Survey study of people living in the vicinity of cellular phone base stations.
, base station
, cell phone
, electric field
, mobile communication
, personal computer
, power density
, power lines
, preliminary study
, visualExposure: mobile communication
system, cell phone base station
, residential exposure
Do you want to give a feedback on our extract of the article?